OUR HISTORY

The Salvation Army is an international organization with the mission to meet human needs and provide comfort and support to those in need, regardless of age, race or religion. Operating as a charity in Singapore for more than 88 years, The Salvation Army has helped a wide group of individuals and families in the society each year ranging from vulnerable children and youth, frail elderly, isolated migrant workers, ex-offenders, and struggling families and individuals. Through our social programmes like Gracehaven, Peacehaven and others, The Salvation Army aims to uplift and empower those who are struggling. With community-focused programs, The Salvation Army provides compassion and care for the marginalized without discrimination. The organization’s outreach is motivated by God’s love and compassion, and a desire to help the vulnerable.

The Salvation Army in Singapore was established in 1935. Our headquarters was first located on Killiney Road. In meeting the needs of vulnerable women at that time, a home to care for women who were destitute and victims of forced prostitution and a school that taught English and tailoring were set up in 1937, and later developed as the Women’s Industrial Home at River Valley Road. The expansion of our work took our headquarters to Tank Road (later renamed as Clemenceau Avenue) in January 1938. After 50 years, we shifted to Changi for a brief period before relocating to our current location at Bishan in 1994.

The Salvation Army in Singapore was established in 1935. Our headquarters was first located on Killiney Road. In meeting the needs of vulnerable women at that time, a home to care for women who were destitute and victims of forced prostitution and a school that taught English and tailoring were set up in 1937, and later developed as the Women’s Industrial Home at River Valley Road. The expansion of our work took our headquarters to Tank Road (later renamed as Clemenceau Avenue) in January 1938. After 50 years, we shifted to Changi for a brief period before relocating to our current location at Bishan in 1994.

OUR TERRITORY

Colonel Hary Haran, Territorial Commander

The Salvation Army Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar Territory was established on 1 March 2005. The work in each country commenced much earlier, with Myanmar in 1915, Singapore in 1935, and Malaysia in 1938. The Territory is headed by the Territorial Commander and supported by the Chief Secretary and the Territorial Secretary for Women’s Ministries. These positions are appointed by the International Headquarters in London.

The Salvation Army adopted a quasi-military command structure in 1878 where the chain of command extends from the General that provides the spiritual and administrative guidance to The Salvation Army units around the world at the International Headquaters in London, England.